Friday, July 12, 2013

A Baby Girl


It's been a whirlwind of a week.  It's funny to think that as I sit here in the hospital room at 7:30am, I was going to be induced this morning.  My how plans changed. :)

So here's a look back at the beginning...

Tuesday afternoon:  We went the doctor for my 40 week prenatal appointment.  The doctor felt that something could happen within the next week but didn't want me going over 41 weeks.  Since he going out of town the following week, it was decided that I would be induced Friday morning.

Wednesday:  I woke up at 3:30am with some discomfort.  I've experienced Braxton Hicks (false contractions) during the night before so I didn't think much of it.  I tried to fall back to sleep but was uncomfortable in bed so decided to sit/stand.  At 4:15am, I woke Andy up and told him that I thought that what I was experiencing may be more than Braxton Hicks.  We continued to monitor the contractions and at 5:00am decided that we would drive to the hospital and see how things progressed in the car since it would take us about 45 minutes to get there.  

We arrived at the hospital around 6:15am.  Contractions in the car were about 50 seconds in duration and 6 minutes apart.  They wanted to put me in triage first; however, after seeing that I was going to be induced on Friday anyways, decided to admit me to a room.  Admitting....not enjoyable....some very pointless questions...while I sit uncomfortable during each contraction.  Finally the nurse decided to complete an exam...8cm dilated.  They decided not to call my doctor previously so at this point of time Andy (slightly annoyed) asked "Can we call the doctor now?"  So they did, only to find out he was not available...  :(

7:15am.  The midwife covering for our doctor came in to talk with us.  Even though I was 8cm, the bag of waters was still intact.  It was decided that we would wait and see if the bag ruptured while the midwife was assisting in a C-Section...she would come back around 8:15 and we could go from there.

8:25am.  Water still intact.  Contractions are getting stronger.  The desire to push is starting to become  apparent.  The nurse pages the midwife.

8:35am.  Bag of waters are punctured.  Contraction came.  Pushing began.  Naomi was born at 8:40am.

A quick 5 minutes...is that what you are thinking?  That's what the nurses kept saying...However to me, it was not quick.  It was the longest 5 minutes!!!

Naomi Beatrice Weden weighed in at 8 pounds 11.5 ounces.  19 1/2 inches long.  Head circumference 31 centimeters.  

Late Wednesday night, Naomi nursed and then went to the nursery to get weighed and rest while I rested in the room.  Around 2am, I was told she was going to a chest x-ray.  I asked if it was routine.  Yes.  I didn't remember this happening with Caleb.  But didn't ask more.  3am - my nurse and a NICU nurse came in to let me know that Naomi would be moved to the NICU for monitoring as she was breathing rapidly.  They would draw blood for labs and continue to watch her and we'd know more in the morning. 

Andy came up to the hospital at 7am on Thursday morning so he would be here for rounds with the doctor at 8:30am.  We were told that Naomi had fluid in her lungs.  There were several possible ways this could have happened but was fairly common.  Due to the fluid, she was breathing rapidly at times.  She should be between 30 to 60 breaths per minute and at times she was well above that.  She was on antibiotics in case there was an infection but we wouldn't know that for certain until 24 to 48 hours when the blood culture came back.  If there is no infection, the antibiotics would just be stopped.  However, if an infection is present, the antibiotics have already been started.

We visit Naomi throughout the day.  I was able to 'kangaroo' with her a couple times, which is holding her skin to skin.  Throughout the day her breaths start to get within range and nurses share she is looking good.

It's now Friday morning and we are waiting to meet with the doctor.  During the night they started to wean her from the oxygen she was on.  Hopefully later today I will have time to post more about what we learned from the doctor.  

Please keep Naomi and our family in your prayers.  While it is hard to see Naomi hooked up to machines, we are confident that the Lord is taking care of her and are thankful for the wonderful NICU staff and the care they show her and us.

No comments:

Post a Comment